Being appropriately dressed for the weather is number one when it comes to comfortable travelling – close second is feeling chic but really, unless you’re a college student who doesn’t feel the cold (cheers to that! Fondly remembering those mini-skirt-in-two-degrees-days…), the weather comes first. Which is why, when you’re packing that bag, working out how to dress for the climate is a good place to start (read more on that here). But what about when you go on a trip that involves a range of different climates? This happens all the time, whether it’s major weather differences, say travelling to the snow in Japan and then having a few days at the beach in Thailand afterwards, or less extreme like going to London in summer (still cold!) and then heading to Greece for an island relax. We should all be so lucky to a) be able to take long breaks like this and b) see so many places, but regardless, it can be a complete pain to pack for when you have limited luggage allowance and so much you want to take. I did this sort of thing a few times last year, and so thought I would share with you a few steps for how I attempt to get it right.
How To Pack For Multiple Climates
Start with a list
As a CHRONIC list maker you can bet I start here when I’m organising my baggage. Instead of jumping into what you’ll take straight away, start with the exact things you’re going to be doing as that will largely determine all the items you need to take. Sounds obvious right? But it’s oh so important when you’re going to lots of places and want to be appropriately dressed the whole time.
Go for versatility
When you’re packing, choose items with the highest levels of versatility. What items do you have that can be utilised in all types of weather, i.e. do you have a scarf that can double as a sarong? A felt hat that can keep your head warm as well as keeping the sun off? If all of your items can be used in different weather, you’ll have lots of choice of outfits.
Focus on layering
Instead of taking pieces that will be worn alone like an oversized wool coat, you’re going to want to take pieces that can be layered together to create a warm outfit, whilst also being able to be worn on their own in warmer climates. Because chances are you’re not going to be able to take with you super heavy items, you need to focus on layering lighter clothes with heavier ones to keep you warm when it’s cold.
Think about your base
Warm base items are a must when travelling to colder climates, and come back to the concept of layering. If you pack a few pairs of nice wool tights and thermals, you’ll have to focus less on bigger more bulky items and will have more room in your luggage.
Cold trumps hot
At least in my books it does. If you’re going to a very very cold location for part of your trip you’re going to want to be well prepared so it’s good to come to terms with the fact that maybe 70% of your luggage will be taken up with warm items. Just make sure you squeeze as much into the remaining 30% for the other part of your trip by focusing on light weight silk and cotton items.
Pack the right Shoes
I’m all about travelling in the right shoes (I could dedicate a whole week of posts to travel shoes), and comfort in different climates really depends on your shoes. Start with one pair of shoes to match the most extreme climates you are visiting, then add one or two extra pairs in the middle of the spectrum.
Buy on the road
Depending on whether you’re travelling from hot to cold climates or the other way around, there is also the option of buying pieces on the road to supplement what you packed. I think this works best for the warm portion of your trip where new pieces are likely to be less expensive (i.e. not a substantial) as pieces that are bought for cold climates.
Closet: Fedora from a market (like this), DIY Bralette, SJ Lingerie Silk tank, DIY Leather skirt, DIY shredded jeans, Witchery scarf, vintage breton top, Witchery knit (like this), Whistles Jacket (like this), Leather jacket (like this), Whistles back pack, J Crew pumps, Witchery boots (like this)
The closet you see above reflects a suitcase bound fora cold climate as well as a temperate/mildly warm climate. In the event that you’re going to a cold climate and then a hot one, I would stay away from packing leather which you won’t want to touch once you’re sweating.
This is my third post in the last few months about packing – with the summer travel season coming up it’s always great to brush up on your suitcase skills. 🙂 I’d love to know if there is anything you would like me to cover on the subject!