Here we go again, turning a (let’s be honest) pretty nasty dress into something not-so-gross and potentially wearable. I like to think of this as the job interview version of the checked set I made a little while ago here (so long as your job isn’t weird around a hint of midriff!
Wearing: Dylan Kain bag, Lack of Color hat
- Long Maxi Dress
- Needle & thread
1. First we turned the front of the dress into the back of the dress so first we unpicked the pocked from the front. Then cut the maxi dress into two sections, separating the top section from the gather section around the waist.
2. You will then have two sections and will be half way to having a new crop top and midi skirt!
3. Hem the edge of your crop top, this can either be done by hand or machine.
4 .Take your elastic and place it along the top of your skirt. Use this to work out how thick the elastic is and then fold the fabric over and sew down to create a waistband that you’re going to thread your elastic through.
5. Attaching your elastic to a pencil, knitting needle or in this case some chopsticks push your elastic all the way through the loop until it comes through the other side.
6. Once you have both ends of your elastic, sew them together to create your waistband.
Photos by Nicola Lemmon
Ps. Check out one of my favourite before & after projects here.