Laced up necklines are the detail of the season – bringing to mind nautical adventures and/or African safaris. No matter where you plan on wearing your laced up top in the next few months (perhaps you’ll find yourself an emptied out pool to frolic in?), you’ll be happy to know that if you so choose, it can be recreated at home, in little to no time and with just a touch of elbow grease. Read on to see how!
DIY Laced Up Top
- Button Up Shirt
- Grommet Maker
1. Remove the buttons from your shirt.
2. On the side which you removed the buttons from. mark where you will create a matching set of holes parallel to your button holes.
3. Place the top of your grommet through your button hole.
4. Add the bottom half of your grommet on the other side of the shirt.
5. Place the base of the grommet maker through your grommet and shirt.
6. Place the top section of your grommet maker on top of the base, hammer away until your grommets are in place!
7. On the side which does not have button holes, use a dart awl to create holes where you have previously marked.
8. Add grommets to both sides. Take your cord and start to lace up your shirt starting from the bottom, criss crossing as you weave your cord through your grommets towards the top of your shirt.
Photos by Nicola Lemmon