Ready to get outdoors this summer? Me too. Well and truly! Now’s clearly not the time in which to hang on the couch and watch netflix (as much as you may want to). A few weeks ago I flew down to Australia to work with Westfield Carindale on 3 very fun workshops, and even though the weather down under is moving in the opposite direction, it was just as perfect for a picnic! The workshops were an absolute blast, it was such a pleasure to meet so many other craft lovers. To celebrate what looks to be a perfect season to be out and about, Westfield and I got together to create this tasseled picnic rug. We made the tassels using a little cheat that I think you’ll love!
Picnic items: Kikki K journal, Country Road napkins, cushion and tray.
DIY Tasseled Rug
- A Rug
- Needle and Thread
1. Cut 2 pieces of string which are long enough to tie around the ball of yarn.
2. Take one piece of string and tie the string approximately three quarters of the way across the ball of yarn.
3. Once secured, cut along the bottom of the ball of yarn to create the tasseled effect.
4. Cut off any stray bits to make the tassel an even length.
5. Turn your tassel upside down, take the second piece of string, fold it in half and tie it to the centre of the tassel.
6. Using something long and thin like a paintbrush, push the looped end through the centre of the tassel.
7. Created as many tassels as you would like!
8. Place your tassel loop under your blanket.
9. Take your needle and thread and start sewing them onto the edge of your blanket.