Ready for an AH-mazing before and after?!
A little while ago I went to Melbourne for an intense few days of shooting, on a project I couldn’t share at the time… But now I can! Bunnings bought a (frankly drab!) old brick house in the outer suburbs of Melbourne and tasked myself and a bunch of other people to completely overhaul it. Of course the whole process was documented to create the Make It Yours series. The focus of the whole series is to show how you can do amazing things in your space with a small budget and no major renovations. So it’s perfect for renters or anyone who’s looking to keep the time/cost investment down. I got to overhaul the master bedroom, which was right up my alley! Scroll down to watch.
On a personal note, it was such a treat to be asked to work on this project. It’s the first time I’ve worked on something of this scope, and been on camera like this. To say I was nervous is the world’s biggest understatement! But I really enjoyed the challenge (and 4am starts lol) and I hope I get to do more of this. I hope you’ll watch and let me know what you think :). Watch it on youtube here or below.
Watch the video!
What we did
Honestly, this master bedroom overhaul is overflowing with amazing DIY ideas, from the bigger things like the feature wall and the painting, to smaller things like decor elements and the up-cycled dresser. In case you want more detail, every project listed in the video, there is also a separate video to show you exactly how to do it! Here’s a quick run down of what I did:
- The feature wall: I knew that I wanted to create more texture in this bland room, so we chose to put in VJ cladding as a feature wall and paint it Spruce Grove by Taubmans. For the rest of the walls we gave them a freshen up with Dulux Vivid White.
- Lighting: I added some gorgeous plant loving pendant lights and a fan (installation was organised by the Bunnings service!).
- Windows: We updated the old window frames using Dulux Metalshield, and then added sheer curtains. They look so so different now!
- Bedside tables & dresser: We got old bedside tables from Facebook Marketplace, and used an easy technique for creating a rattan look (you’ll love this!).
- Headboard: For the headboard we make a hanging cushion headboard, which is one of my favourite projects.
- Decor: We also added some DIY decor like an easy hanging dowel rack and a plank photo display.
Here’s a little BTS… I couldn’t have done it without Ebony and Tenielle, my helpers from Bunnings! I learnt sooo much from them and we had a blast.
This post is in collaboration with Bunnings.